Bendakaya Pulusu, Tamarind Okra Curry Recipe
Bendakaya Pulusu is a very popular okra curry of Andhra Cuisine. Bendakaya is a Telugu word whose English translation is Okra and pulusu means Gravy Curry. Bendakaya pulsu is basically a tangy thick curry which is usually served with steamed rice.
I have learned this recipe from my mother wondering how she is preparing okra in pressure cooker. It is quite simple and easy to make and taste delicious. So do try this pulusu(gravy curry) to add some variety in your daily routine okra dishes. Bendakaya pulusu and steamed rice is truly a superb food.
Complete Tamarind Okra Curry Recipe
A delicious and tangy okra curry from Andhra Cuisine.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 225gms okra/bhindi/bendakaya
- 1 Tomato chopped finely
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 tbsp Tamarind / Imli Paste
- 2 tbsp Coriander finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2-1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder ( As per your taste)
- 3 Green Chilli Finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 3-4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Broken dry red chilli
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- Wash and chop okra in pieces.
- Heat oil in a Pressure Cooker and add mustard seeds, dry red chili ,curry leaves and saute it well.
- When mustard start crackling then add the chopped green chilies, onions saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and salt and fry for about next 2 minutes.Once the above ingredients started cooking add okra pieces.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, turmeric, and tamarind paste and give a nice mix. Lastly add a 1-2 cups of water and close the lid and wait for 2-3 whistles.
- Once 3 whistles are over low down the flame and keep the curry for 5-10 mins.