Crispy Onion Karela Sabji Recipe
Karela which is commonly known as bitter gourd in English. There are many varieties of bitter gourd and is termed as the most nutritious vegetables. To determine difference in various bitter gourd is by there color and size, but make a note of it that “All are bitter“. Many people don’t prefer to eat this curry because of its bitterness but do you know that we can balance the bitterness in the curry by adding sugar and amchur powder. The juice of bitter gourd is used to cure diabetes. This recipe of bitter gourd is cooked with bitter gourd, onions and some spices which we use on the daily basis at home. Serve the Karela Sabji with Phulka’s or plain steamed rice for a weekday meal.
Find Complete Crispy Onion Karela Sabji Recipe
Serves 2 Large Servings
This recipe of bitter gourd is cooked with bitter gourd, onions and some spices which we use on the daily basis at home. Serve the Karela Sabji with Phulka's or plain steamed rice for a weekday meal.
1 hrPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 40 Total Time
- 2 cups Karela (Bitter Gourd)
- 2 cups Onion
- 2-3 Green Chillis (Chopped)
- 2 Teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
- Cumin Seeds
- 1/2Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2-3 Teaspoon Amchur Powder
- 10-15 ml. of Mustard oil / any cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut the bitter gourd in round pieces with the help of potato chip cutter or thin long 3-4 inches pieces.
- Put a spoonful of salt and mix to the pieces of bitter gourd. Cover and keep aside for aprox 1 hr and then wash it properly with water. This is very important to do as it will make the bitter gourd less bitter.
- Cut onions to thin long slices. Heat oil in a big thick bottom wok till oil is smoking hot.
- Now add Fennel seeds, cumin seeds, Let the seeds become dark brown in color. Then add onions, washed bitter gourd, turmeric powder and Salt. Mix them very nicely and cover with a lid.
- Cook it for aprox 20-25 min. on low flame with occasional stirring. This will cook the bitter gourd and make the onions little brown.
- After this add amchur powder and sugar(optional) and mix nicely and again cover and keep it aside for the flavors of spices to mix with each other.
- Serve hot bitter gourd curry garnished with fresh coriander leaves with roti/parantha/Phulka's or with steamed rice.
Do not let the seeds become black. Black color means that they have got burnt and the taste as well as flavor of vegetable will get spoil. Cooking of this curry should be done on low heat especially because if it is not done so then bitter gourd will become brown in color but remain under cooked. If you are using mustard oil heat it to smoking hot, for cooking oil it is not necessary. If you wish you can add roasted groundnuts at the end to give more flavor.